Wednesday, June 11, 2008

NBA Games Fixed?

I read Marc Stein's article "NBA has no quick fix for Donaghy's fixing charges" today. While I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I must say the NBA has a real image problem. I lost a lot of interest in the NBA after Magic and Bird retired and now found myself only occasionally watching the playoffs. I have seen many questionable calls - that get made and that don't get made - that really raise questions about the fairness of the game. After reading about the Donaghy scandal, I thought I remembered that NBA referees had a scandal about 10 years ago involving false tax claims involving airline tickets. After doing some Googling, indeed that was the case. David Stern has to put on the best face for his league, however when the referees keep making the news it's easy to question how legitimate the games really are. If I watch any of the remaining games, I know I will be looking at each call made much more closely than in the past.

No comments: